CHANGE CONTROL MANAGEMENT IS DEAD!
Key take-aways on how most successful transformation initiatives focus on 3 solid cornerstones to deliver sustainable impact:
- Stakeholder Engagement is more important than Project Methodology
- Impact and Value is more important than Cost Control
- Transparent Flow is more important than Formal Procedures
Perhaps you’re implementing a new ERP system. Perhaps you’re engaging in a digital transformation track. Perhaps you’re expanding to new markets. Perhaps your market is being faced with disruptive incumbents.
In all of the above transformation projects, you need to install and maintain a solid change control framework. Even in a chaotic context, you need to be able to assure an efficient delivery of the intended value, while reducing financial and business risk.
In this post, we would like to highlight 5 key steps for implementing a solid change control framework, that takes into account the challenges of the uncertain business environment we all work in today.
01 ESTABLISH A CLEAR VISION ON CHANGE
Don’t tell people what you want to change, tell them first why change in needed. What will happen if you don’t change? What is at stake if the outcome of the change is not successful?
Before starting to implement change control procedures and tools, you need to create a clear framework to streamline change.
- What the vision for your organization? Why is change required? What happens if we don’t change?
- What is the motivational story that will be consistently communicated to all stakeholders involved?
- What are the areas and elements that are not in scope for change?
02 FOSTER CHANGE LEADERSHIP
This is really an essential one. Any change control procedure or tool will fail to get the job done, if you don’t have the right level of leadership installed. And here we’re not talking about getting senior executives involved in the change advisory board only. No, you will need to assure that people with the right vision on change and the right leadership skills, are being given the authority by senior management to lead and drive a consistent decision taking process.
Always bear in mind
- You cannot drive change with procedures and Powerpoint only. You have to put a human soul in your vision.
- Who will be the executives inspiring all stakeholders involved? How can they make the impact worthwhile?
- Who will be given the authority and ownership to take decisions?
03 DESIGN YOUR ORGANIZATION FOR CHANGE
In order to implement an efficient change process, barriers for change have to be removed or at least reduced.
- Remove all organizational barriers that slow down or even block the change you want to achieve. This is the top management responsibility.
- Find the right balance between robust change governance and efficient change implementation.
- Give authority and autonomy to key change actors in the organization.
04 IMPLEMENT A SOLID AND AGILE CHANGE MANAGEMENT PROCESS
A good change control system should
- Clearly describe the expected impact
- Evaluate the alternatives
- Anticipate on the implications towards the process, organization, system and data
- Allow to break down the work in smaller and assignable tasks
- Capture deadlines
- Document the change and work done
- Allow to keep all the stakeholders in the loop and engaged
05 SUPPORT THE PROCESS WITH A STATE-OF-THE-ART TOOL
Use a ‘state-of-the-art’ collaborative change and project management tool to ‘stay on top’
- Ability to structure a change request
- Allow to organize and track work with one or multiple tasks
- Allow collaboration with all stakeholders involved
- Allow to embed screenshots in formatted text
- Allow to work with templates to speed up work
- Low and very intuitive administration
HOW TO GET STARTED WITH PROJECT AND CHANGE MANAGEMENT IN 9TEAMS?
9TEAMS is a ‘state-of-the-art’ project management and collaboration solution that has been developed by and for transformation practitioners. The cloud solution is being used in a context of ERP implementations, digital transformation and business realignment initiatives. This highly scalable platform makes alignment and follow-up a breeze. It brings together all stakeholders, information, tasks, issues, requests and scenarios. Tech savvy or not, internal or external; save time, demonstrate compliance and get things done!
Start a 30-day free trial now, import the templates you need and you’ll be up and running in a couple of minutes!
Contact our project management experts to schedule an online session to get you up and running in no time.